Obama pardoned two turkeys this Thanksgiving.
So can we!
No turkey agida this year.
There’s no law that says we have to wrestle with a twenty pound dinosaur at Thanksgiving.
And we are all the better for it.
Dumplings the night before. Tenderloin and potato gratin with an apple pie finish the day of…
And whisky…lots of whisky.
That’s a lot to be thankful for.
Pie dough (adapted from MAD HUNGRY)
2 cups flour
1 tsp coarse salt
2 sticks butter (1 cup) cold, unsalted and cut into pieces
1/2 cup cold water or milk
- In the bowl of your stand mixer, with your paddle attachment, combine flour and salt. Add butter pieces and mix until the flour and butter create a coarse meal. Add in water in tablespoons until dough holds together in a ball.
- Divide your dough in two and press them into disks. Wrap them separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least fifteen minutes.
- The trick to this crust is to bake your pie at 400 º F for the first 20-30 minutes of the baking process (usually 1 hour 15-20 minute total depending on your oven).
Apple pie filling (adapted from DORI SANDERS’ COUNTRY COOKING)
6-8 green apples (or a mix of sweet and tart), peeled, cored, cut into 1/4″ slices
1/2 cup sugar
2-4 tbs flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp coarse salt
grated orange zest
2 tbs unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 egg, beaten with one tablespoon of milk or cream
- Combine flour, sugar, spices and salt. Add sliced apples and orange zest and mix (make sure you preheat your oven at 400 º F).
- Roll out your dough disks, thin but not transparent. Line your pie plate with dough, trim the excess dough and save.
- Pile the apple filling into the pie plate and dot with butter.
- Lay the top crust over the apple filling, crimping and pinching the bottom and top crusts together. Use the excess dough to fill in any gaps (I don’t know about you, but I always have gaps).
- Cut a hole on top with a small cookie cutter or by hand with a knife, and cut slits in the crust. Brush with the egg mixture.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet/half sheet and bake in your preheated oven for at least half an hour. Check the crust, if it’s very brown turn down the temp to 350º F and bake for another half hour or so.
- Let cool a little before serving.