Earth Day becomes Pie Day..
Supposedly you can make a fine enough crust with Wesson Oil (well Florence Henderson seemed to like it?)
The Boyfriend heard this was a thing from a pie guy on Leonard Lopate’s show.
I’m a butter crust devotee, but I was intrigued by this idea so here we are.
In my olden golden years, I’ve come to settle on apple pie as my pie of choice. Sure, I like pecan and sweet potato, but there’s something about apple that grabs me every time.
Plus, there’s the symbolism of the apple which is not lost on me. Both the Witch and Satan got their way with it.
As it turns out, this oil crust did not win me over. Though it was better the day after, having set a bit more (and of course the filling was just fine) but I’m not about waiting for my crust to set before I can eat my pie. Just sayin’.
Oil Pie Crust
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup oil (I used Wesson vegetable oil)
1/4 cup whole milk
- Mix flour and salt in a big bowl. (I used my stand mixer)
- Pour milk and oil in one measuring cup.
- Pour into the flour. Mix until sides of the bowl are clean.
- Form a ball. Divide into two pieces.
- Roll out in between two pieces of wax or parchment paper.
- Follow your favorite pie recipe for filling and baking.